On Thursday, November 15, every donation you make gives your favorite organizations the chance to win even more money. Please Give to the Max to the Saint Paul Almanac this Thursday.
Besides supporting the important work we do to encourage community engagement through the literary arts and showcasing the city we love—Saint Paul, Minnesota—you will:
- have your donation matched dollar for dollar up to $2,500
- be able to schedule your giving ahead of time (as in right now!)
- enter the Almanac into an hourly drawing to win an extra $1,000 on Give to the Max day
During Give to the Max Day, your gift makes a BIG difference. Schedule a donation for November 15th right now!
Just a few of our accomplishments:
- We just published our seventh edition with more than 130 stories and poems, richly illustrated in full color.
- We conduct three annual reading series that celebrate the rich literary history of Minnesota’s capital city: Lowertown Reading Jam, Saint Paul Almanac Readings, and the newest, Soul Sounds Open Mic, hosted each Thursday by Tish Jones at Golden Thyme Café on Selby Avenue. Visit saintpaulalmanac.org for an up-to-date schedule of events.
- This year, the Saint Paul Almanac conducted writing activities for women at the Ramsey County Correctional Facility. Two collections of poems were published.
- This fall, the Saint Paul Almanac donated 2,000 books to the St. Paul Public Schools and a curriculum guide for teachers who use the books in English and Social Studies classes.
- The Saint Paul Almanac inspired art for the light rail corridor. A group of five community editors received an Irrigate Arts placemaking grant to create a series of posters featuring stories from the Almanac that were installed along Saint Paul’s light rail corridor. Look for the large banner featuring an excerpt from Kofi Bobby Hickman’s story “The Brawl in Saint Paul” on the facade of the Old Home building on University Avenue and Western.
- In October, we convened a new community editor group for the 2014 edition. The Saint Paul Almanac mentors a cross-cultural and cross-generational team of twenty-one editors to collect stories in their communities—both written and oral. Using a collaborative and democratic approach, the group decides which essays and poems to include in the upcoming Almanac.
Please support us as we grow and pursue new goals:
- We are doing more engagement with community groups than ever before. We have projects under development with the St. Paul Public Schools’ Multicultural Resource Center and the St. Paul Public Library, and we are working to get the books into the hands of more Saint Paul residents and visitors.
- We are exploring partnerships with other community-based arts organizations to expand our ability to gather and tell the stories of our city. One project under development is What Moves You, a mobile story-gathering cart.
- We are printing and selling more books than ever. The book is currently sold at over fifty local retail outlets, including local and independent bookstores, museums, coffee shops, and the airport, and it is the only book sold at Saint Paul Public Libraries.