Arcata Press | Saint Paul Almanac (SPA) is a literary-centered arts organization whose mission is to share stories across cultures and cultivate dialogue to promote understanding, relationships, and collaborative action.
Inclusive and equitable leadership and participation is a guiding principle we put into daily practice. The stories we share are created through writing, spoken word, film, podcasts, visual art, readings, and many other activities that honor the flourishing of local voice and thought. Some of our signature programs and projects are Storymobile, a moveable art space that brings people-powered storytelling to the streets, communities, and events of Saint Paul; the annual Saint Paul Almanac book, a collection of stories, poems, and artwork by and about the people of Saint Paul, created via our unique community editor mentorship process; the IMPRESSIONS project, which places local poetry and art in public transit spaces; the Lowertown Reading Jam; the documentary film and podcast RONDO: Beyond the Pavement; Poetry in the Park in the Dark; and our collaborative fiscal sponsorship program, where we fiscally sponsor and build mutually supportive relationships with other community organizations.
The Executive Director (ED) functions as the primary collaborative leader* of SPA. The ED has the passion to energize communities around the vision of enhancing the quality of life and building capacity through the arts and to infuse that vision into all activities: strategic direction, programs, services, and relationship building. That vision includes providing new opportunities for artists to publish their work, learn new skills, and find new audiences; intergenerational and intercultural mentoring and learning in the arts; and promoting equity through opportunities for the voices of people from many cultural identities and other identities who have historically not been represented in places of power to be heard and to shape and lead the community in which we live.
The successful ED will use a collaborative leadership style to guide the artistic vision, strategic direction, administration, and programs of the organization. The ED collaborates with staff and contractors (editors, artists, volunteers, and other invested individuals) to envision, execute, develop, and manage all aspects of SPA programs, operations, fundraising and development, fiscal management, and communications. This work includes strategic plan development/implementation, communications and marketing planning/implementation, community engagement, and other duties as assigned by the board.
The ED position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
The ED works extensively with local government, for-profit, and nonprofit organizations, and the people of Saint Paul in building a coalition of support around stories and public art that honor local voice and thought. The ED enhances SPA’s image by being active and visible in the community. The ED seeks out and values editors, authors, artists, and audiences from the local community and from a multiplicity of cultural identities.
- Serves as the board-appointed agent and signatory of Arcata Press | Saint Paul Almanac, including being the agent on contracts, agreements, and other legal documents and signing all agreements, leases, and other binding arrangements on behalf of the Board of Directors.
- Works closely with the board in setting policy decisions, fundraising, and increasing the overall visibility and viability of the organization.
- Works with the board to develop organizational policies and the annual operating budget.
- Attends Board of Directors meetings and keeps the board informed regarding the business affairs of SPA.
- Ensures adequate staff support for board activities, including ensuring that logistics are carried out related to board meetings, retreats, and other gatherings.
- Serves as SPA’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the public.
- Coordinates the work of consultants and/or staff and develops relevant analyses and programs and operational strategies for SPA, including marketing and communications.
- Recruits, hires, orientates, evaluates, and dismisses staff, volunteers, and consultants; is responsible for human resource duties; and ensures the development and monitoring of acceptable affirmative action/equal employment opportunity policies.
- Develops and ensures the completion of work plans that aid SPA in achieving both short-term and long-range goals and objectives.
- Ensures SPA has adequate information and communication technologies, including telephone systems, security systems, computer hardware/software, web-based communication systems, and related technologies.
Fundraising and Development
- Identifies opportunities for artistic innovation and community engagement through the development of projects, programs, and services through grant writing, partnerships, collaborations, and volunteer opportunities.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with partner organizations in order to strengthen and enhance our mission and vision.
- Coordinates the development of grant proposals and applications.
- Ensures that fundraising is carried out in a timely manner and that fundraising goals are achieved.
- Responsible for all grant partnership, collaboration, and volunteer agreements.
- Ensures the financial stability of Arcata Press | Saint Paul Almanac through sound fiscal management and control, financial forecasting and planning, and prudent budgeting and cash management.
- Primary fiscal coach and adviser to SPA fiscal sponsees, including introducing them to nonprofit banking and accounting guidelines and policies.
- Signs off on and approves all agency purchases and procurement, business transactions, and investments.
- Makes sure SPA complies with local, state, and federal laws regarding financial management.
- Works closely with the bookkeeper and accountant and collaborates with the board treasurer to ensure effective financial management.
- Develops an annual communications plan with staff and board across all organizational and program/project areas, with adaptability to change as necessary.
- Coordinates with web maintenance contractor to ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, events, etc.) is posted regularly to saintpaulalmanac.org, storymobile.org, and elsewhere online.
- Manages the development, distribution, and ongoing refreshment of all print and electronic communications materials, including (but not limited to) newsletter, brochures, and web content.
- Manages all media contacts together with staff.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work/life experience
- Transparent and high-integrity leadership background
- Solid budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of SPA’s future to staff, board, volunteers, and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations relevant to the nonprofit sector
- Effective written and oral communication skills (public speaking ability)
- Skills to recruit and motivate board members, volunteers, and other invested individuals
- Intercultural competence and sensitivity to a multiplicity of experiences
- Ability to engage volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to manage and collaborate with staff, volunteers, and other invested individuals
Arcata Press | Saint Paul Almanac is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Persons of color, indigenous individuals, and LGBTQ identified individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY: To be considered for this opening, please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org (consultant for Saint Paul Almanac):
- List of two professional and one personal reference
- A 500-word (or less) narrative on: (1) why you are interested in the SPA Executive Director position and (2) a description of your leadership style and how it developed.
If you have any questions, please call 651-222-8333
* A collaborative leader invests time to build relationships, handles conflicts in a constructive manner, and shares leadership.